Early 20th Century carved
Hopi figure, 25 inches tall. This
spectacular early carving is either a
Butterfly Maiden effigy or Butterfly
Maiden Katsina doll (Palhikwmana
Acquired by the Amerind Museum in
1942, Catalog No. 565. It is one of the
outstanding Hopi wood carvings in the
Early to Mid-19th Century
Koniag (Alutiig) spruce root hat from
Kodiak Island, Alaska. This spectacular
hunter’s hat, measuring over 14 inches
in diameter and 8 inches in height, was
acquired from the Museum of the American
Indian (Heye Foundation) in 1944. It is
one of only a handful of surviving
spruce root hats in the world. Amerind
Catalog No. 641.
Prehistoric Moche deer effigy ceramic
vessel from Northern Perú.
1500 year old effigy vessel was
acquired from a private collector in
1956. The Moche civilization of northern
coastal Peru was noted for its
monumental architecture, gold work, rich
iconography, and superb decorated
ceramics depicting various human and
animal forms. Amerind Catalog No. 2473.
Inuit (Eskimo) wooden mask from Anvik,
Alaska, acquired from the Museum of the
American Indian in 1943. Measuring 13
inches in height and manufactured of
and feathers, Inuit masks were
used in traditional dances. This mask
probably dates to the late 19th-early
Amerind Catalog No. 194.
Third phase Navajo Chief’s blanket
purchased by Rose Hayden Fulton in 1905
from the Fred Harvey Company in
Albuquerque, New Mexico.
The blanket was meant to be worn
and probably took at least 2 years to
Based on a study of the yarns
used, Dr. Ann Hedlund suggests that the
work was woven around 1878.
It is 76 inches wide by 54
Amerind Catalog No. 548.
Apache coiled olla basket recovered from
a cave in southeastern Arizona in 1910
by a young goatherd. Manufactured of
split willow and devils claw, the basket
was a 2010 gift to the Amerind from the
Magoffin family of Cochise County. The
basket measures 20 inches high and 17
inches in diameter and is in pristine
condition, despite being left in the
cave sometime prior to 1886 (the date of
the last Chiricahua Apache surrender).
It is possible that this is the only
surviving Chiricahua coiled basket in
existence. Recent Amerind Acquisition.
Kechipawa Polychrome Jar recovered
during the Heye Foundation’s excavations
near the ancestral Zuni site of Hawikuh,
in western New Mexico. An example of an
early fifteenth century Zuni
glaze ware, the jar measures 7
inches high and 10
inches in diameter and is in
nearly perfect condition. Hawikuh was
the first Pueblo village encountered by
the first Spanish entrada to enter the
Southwest, the infamous Coronado
expedition, in the summer of 1540. After
a brief conflict, the pueblo was sacked
and burned by Spanish forces.
Skin Jacket. This jacket was acquired by
collector William Neil Smith in the Seri
community of Desemboque, Sonora, Mexico,
in the late 1940s. The jacket, made from
the hide of a young fawn, measures just
over 10 inches tall and was apparently
made for a young boy. The jacket was
acquired from José Astorga of Desemboque
and sold to William Shirley Fulton in
1954. Amerind Catalog No. 2066.
Ramos Polychrome jar featuring two
highly stylized bird-like figures,
measuring just over 9 inches in diameter
and 6 inches in height. The vessel was
found near Colonia Juarez in northern
Chihuahua, Mexico, and presented to
Amerind’s founder, William Shirley
Fulton, by rancher David Spillsbury in
1963. One of the finest examples of
Casas Grandes ceramic art ever found,
the vessel was made sometime between AD
1250 and 1450. Amerind Catalog No. 4002.
Amerind’s “Logo Pot” was found during
Amerind excavations at the Gleeson Site
near Gleeson, Arizona, in 1939. This
Dragoon Red-on-brown bowl, measuring
just over 5 inches in diameter, is
typical of the Desert Hohokam ceramics
produced in southeastern Arizona between
AD 850 and 1150. It’s exquisite embedded
star design would become the logo of the
Amerind Foundation. Amerind Catalog No.
The frock coat and vest from a
three-piece deer skin suit worn by John
Brandt (1794-1832), son of famed Mohawk
chief Joseph Brandt. The deer skin
clothes are decorated with dyed
porcupine quills. This historic suit was
probably made and worn in the early 19th
Century, and became part of the Amerind
collection in 1967. Amerind Catalog Nos.
5908 and 5910.